Sunday, January 10, 2010

Running in the snow, and other stuff

Lately, I've had the itch for a good outdoor run. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to dump around 5 inches of the white death upon us on Thursday (and a little more on Friday), and my neighborhood is particularly abysmal at road clearing. Couple that with my history of falling and hurting myself on runs on perfectly clear roads (which for the record hasn't happened in about 2 years), and you understand my trepidation. (Thanks to my running tights, the cold had nothing to do with it...more on those later). So today I headed out with my friend Katie and her dog Cal for a run on the streets of Clintonville (where Katie lives) which really weren't much better than my own but Clintonville is prettier than my neighborhood...and no, I did NOT hurt myself! WOOHOO! Some of the snowier areas were a little hard to navigate but all in all it was fun, and definitely made me VERY aware of where my feet are going. Which is never a bad thing. Cap it off with a cooldown walk with Cal and Katie's foster dog Roxie the greyhound, some hot tea, and snuggles with Roxie (who is a lovebug) and you have one productive workout.

So, my running tights..I have these , and for my first pair of running tights ever I LOVE them. They make running in the cold so much more comfortable! I could do without the ankle zippers but overall they're great.

In other running news, I think I've made up my mind about my spring half marathon and am going to do the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini-Marathon at the end of April. My sister Alli is thinking about doing the full, plus my friend Jess lives in Louisville and I've been wanting to go visit her and see Louisville for-ev-er...so this is my chance! One of my goals for this year is to run a sub 1:50 half marathon, so maybe this will be my chance...and if not there's always fall!

Speaking of goals for the year, my goal to go to the gym or run at least 5x/week did not go so well this week, thanks to an upset stomach on Friday. I ended up taking off Monday/Tuesday/Friday and working out Weds/Thurs/Sat/Sun...so overall I'm pleased, but have some room to improve next week. Plus, I'm really trying to eat less processed stuff and more fruits/veggies. I'm hoping this helps me be more motivated to actually prepare things and not just throw a Lean Pocket in my lunch bag (there's nothing wrong with LPs, I just find myself relying on them more than I should)...I mean, how could you NOT want to put yummy food in containers that cute? :D If you want to see the Bento 2.0 in action, check out Katie's blog here-seeing all the pics on FB of the awesome lunches she's put together have motivated me to try out my very own Bento 2.0...so we'll see how it goes!

Now, off to rustle up some grub...either leftover Chicken Tortilla soup, or Tofu Shiritaki pasta with some sort of sauce. We'll see what I come up with!

No comments: