Saturday, April 3, 2010

The good, the bad, and the ugly

The good? I ran a 10k this morning, as part of my scheduled 9 mile long run (did 2.8 mi before the race, then the 6.2 mile race) and got third in my age group! There were only about 50 runners total, but who cares about that :p Plus, my quad didn't act up at ALL, and my new shoes did great!

The bad? Well, not bad per se, but you'd think so if you knew my 10k PR (which I will divulge momentarily), but my clock time was 57:15. By no means bad, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a teeeeeny part of me that was aggravated at that, given that my PR is 51:20. However, this was my first trail race, the course was really hilly (well, hilly for Central Ohio, and more hilly than I expected it to be), and since I've had to forgo speedwork in favor of babying my sore quad my speed has gone to crap. So of course, my time wasn't as good as it's been in the past...and that's okay.

The ugly? Like I said, it was my first trail race. On gravel, which I thought would be so much better than grass/dirt. I was wrong. Gravel sucks. So did the geeeeenormous hills (like I said, geeeeeeenormous for Columbus. The Eden Park hill that is part of the Flying Pig in Cinci was definitely worse, but still). And the heat. The sun came out about 2 miles into the race, and since it's still fairly early in the spring there's not a lot of shade. Which leads me to my next ugly-the course surroundings. I knew they wouldn't be particularly scintillating, seeing as the metropark the race was held in is called Prairie Oaks...emphasis on prairie. As in, some trees and lakes but overall a lot of grassland. A lot. Which is only nice to look at for, oh, 15 minutes or so.

Another good? Those lovely, wonderful Boy Scouts in their bright orange T-shirts that were handing out Dixie cups of wonderful delicious water at a couple of points along the course. I love you guys...I don't know who you are, or which troop you are, but I love you.

Another good/bad-I made a postrace trip to Old Navy to try to pick up some cheap polos for my pregnant coworker who is in New York for her baby shower this weekend and therefore unable to take advantage of the $5 polo sale. Since men's size polos are the only non-maternity polos that are big enough to accomodate her rapidly expanding belly, I hit the men's section first. And found that of the $5 polos, there was a lot of smalls and mediums, and one large. In red. So I grabbed it. Then found a couple of different polos for J. And a skirt, four tank tops, and a short sleeved shirt for me :D Oh, and an ice pack shaped like a baby chick. $100 later, I left. Hooray for new clothes! And let's ignore the fact that I didn't even go in there for stuff for me-this tank top I'm wearing is comfy, damnit :)

Now, I've had a shower, lunch, a nap, and a healthy dose of HGTV in preparation for dinner with my parents and sister later. And Easter brunch tomorrow...Happy Easter, all!

No comments: