Tuesday, May 4, 2010

So, what now?

That's what I find me asking myself. My spring race is done (see below post), and I haven't even decided for sure if I'm doing a fall race, let alone which one. There are tons of 5ks and a handful of 10ks coming up this summer that are easily within driving distance of my house, but I also have a busy wedding/house project/yard project/party season ahead of me-there are easily three upcoming 5ks that I've thought "Oh, that would be great to do", only to find out there's a wedding or bridal shower or something else going on. So for now, I'm playing things by ear. For me, that means trying to keep my weekly mileage from tanking (I'm hoping to maintain 15+ miles/week, schedule permitting) and adding some much needed elements to my overall fitness routine. If you know me and what I do (or in this case, don't do) on a regular basis, you know this means...


Strength training.


You see, I have the wimpiest.muscles.ever. My core strength sucks, and my arms aren't much better. My lower body strength is okay, thanks to running, but still needs to improve. So that's what I'm going to be slowly rededicating myself to. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet...work with weights at the gym? 30 Day Shred? Something else? Using the weights at the gym has it's pros and cons, as does 30 Day Shred...so we'll see. I'm working on it.

Another thing I'm working on is reining in my love of all food that is crappy. Fried food, sweets, cheese-you name it, I love it. As a result, I put on almost 10 lbs after my fall half and have only been able to take off a couple lbs of that weight so far. So needless to say, I need to work on my restraint, and eating a more balanced diet.


So, that's what now. As I mentioned, I haven't decided what, if any, "big" fall race I'm going to do. I do think that, assuming I do one (and I probably will, lets not fool ourselves here) I'm going to try joining a running group this time. Lord only knows Columbus has a few for me to choose from, but I'll probably look into the Marathoner In Training group (no, this doesn't mean I'm doing a full)-mostly because their weekend runs start at a high school near my house, and from what I've heard a lot of their group runs are on my side of town. But fall's a long time away, thank goodness...bring on summer! Happy running!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Indy Monumental Marathon and Half are super flat. We did the half last year and I dug it. This year I am debating between the half and the full. Probably the full since I'm feeling all gung-ho about running 26 miles right now. That's one of those decisions that I just have to jump in and make without thinking about it too hard.

Lori said...

Oooh, November could be coooold-but at least it won't be humid! I might have to think about that one, thanks :)